Thursday, December 10, 2009

Perry IS a Monster

Capote literarily illustrates Dick as the evil that caused the death of the Clutters, but as we know it was Perry that truly kills them and in the trial we can see that Perry is in fact a monster. Perry is unfeeling for the Clutters and has no real motive for killing them. When talking to Don Perry says “And it wasn’t because of anything the Clutters did. They never hurt me…. Maybe it’s just that the Clutters were the ones who had to pay for it” (290). Perry tells Don that he had no motive to harm the Clutters and that all his anger and rage from his early life was to be forced onto the Clutters. Perry at this point seems relatively insane for committing the murder. Moreover, what he says quickly after does not help his case against a mental illness. Perry then says “Am I sorry? If that’s what you mean—I’m not. I don’t feel anything about it. I wish I did. But nothing about it bothers me a bit” (290-291). His heartlessness is also a sign of his madness because he killed an entire family, shot them with a shotgun, and later that same night he and Dick are laughing about it. Perry is a monster no matter how much Capote tries to cover it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment